Sidewinder Gamepad under Ubuntu

James Gray james at grayonline.id.au
Mon Aug 29 02:03:01 UTC 2005

On Monday 29 August 2005 06:44, tukuyomi wrote:
> First of, you have to find the module to load for your gameport by
> typing 'lsmod' (for example, mine is 'emu10k1gp' on my SBLive!
> soundcard)

> Then, simply edit '/etc/modules' as root ('sudo kwrite' then open
> '/etc/modules') and add those 3 lines:
>
> emu10k1-gp (or whatever the name of the module for your gameport)
>
> joydev
>
> sidewinder
>
> After that, reboot your system to test your gamepad

Why reboot?  The whole point of having loadable modules is that you don't have
to reboot in order to add/remove kernel features.

To the OP:
You can probably get away with "modprobe" and the specifying the modules you
need. eg,
sudo mopdprobe emu10k1-gp
sudo modprobe joydev
sudo modprobe sidewinder

If that works, add the modules as described by tukuyomi to /etc/modules.

To remove a module from a running kernel you can use:
sudo modprobe -r <module>"

To see the loaded modules just type "lsmod".

Further reading:
man modprobe
man lsmod

HTH,

James
--
Don't speak about Time, until you have spoken to him.