Problems with extra repositories

Seth Hasani sepheebear at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 02:50:09 UTC 2005

<quote who="Claus Reheis" on Sat, Aug 27, 2005 at 08:34:14AM EDT>

> here is my /etc/apt/sources.list:

< snip Ubuntu sources >

> ## Backports deb http://ubuntu-backports.mirrormax.net/ hoary-backports
> main universe multiverse restricted deb
> http://ubuntu-backports.mirrormax.net/ hoary-extras main universe
> multiverse restricted
>

> The Problem is now, when I start the Ubuntu Update Manager it tell me that
> it is not possible to update all the packages, also a list who tells that
> "gaim, gimp, mozilla-firefox, mozilla-firefox-gnome-support and smbclient"
> can not be updated!

> The message also suggest to use "SMART UPGRADE" or "apt-get dist-upgrade"
> to solve the situation! I tried both but the packages are always excluded!

I would suspect the error likely has something to do with not having the gpg
signatures for the Backports packages and so Update Manager probably wont
mess with those just because they're unsigned. UM is kinda sensitive that
way. (which is a good thing) I know in Breezy, it wont update a package if
one of its dependencies isnt installed already.

> Actually  "mozilla-firefox, mozilla-firefox-gnome-support and smbclient"
> are up to date, so I dont understand the problem!

These packages are all in Backports and their version numbers are higher
than the ones in Hoary. Try pinning to Hoary to get rid of the update
messages.
        https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PinningHowto?highlight=%28pinning%29

> If I use the orginal repositories this problem do not appear!

I think the problem is answered right there. As a personal habit, I dont run
update manager or dist-upgrade while the Backports repos are active. Id
comment them out when Im running regularly and make them active again when I
know I want to grab something specific from there. I use Synaptic to
play with Backports by going to:
Settings -> Repositories -> Settings -> "Show disabled software sources"

Its quick and easy to enable/disable the repos that way.

Seth