fluxbox or XFCE

albi at scii.nl albi at scii.nl
Sat Aug 27 22:32:51 UTC 2005

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 00:14:55 +0200
manou <amimusa at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I want to install ubunut with server option because I don't have a
> computer too powerful to work fine with gnome.
>
> Which desktop is lighter fluxbox or XFCE?

fluxbox (but strictly speaking fluxbox itself is a wm, not a desktop
environment [Gnome, KDE, xfce4 are DE's])

> If they are more or less the same, which one is better for you?
>
> I prefer XFCE but i don't know if for a Pentium Celeron 550 Mhz with 192
> MB of RAM is right...

i think xfce4 should run fine on a machine like that :)

however, you might want to try some more DE's (desktop env.) and wm's
(windowmanagers)

e.g. try the latest enlightenment
http://livecd.debianitas.net/

and read what rasterman has to say about enlightenment and speed :
http://www.rasterman.com/index.php?page=News (section "E17 is being
optimised")