MSN Webcam Support

Pascal Klein 4pascal at tpg.com.au
Sat Aug 27 15:35:51 UTC 2005

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 11:58 pm, Andrew Millar wrote:
>  The thing is, for a lot of "recreational" computer users, the lack of
> webcam support is a problem. I know of many people who do nothing but chat
> on MSN with their webcams all day. If there was decent linux support for
> webcams, then I expect a lot of them would be willing to change.
>
>  - Andy

I can see where you are coming from, and I think this is one of the things
that could do with some work, so that the simple end-user can also find
something in Linux, or in this case Ubuntu. However, since MSN is not a
standard, and a lot of the current software for it was created and tested
until it worked via trial and error, I think it is possible to live without
this feature, and perhaps in the future without MSN entirely.

Back to the problem at hand - if I recall correctly there currently is no
support for MSN webcam, but as Lee Braiden said it is being investigated. I
don't think it should be a major issue though - nothing important that needs
immediate attention. Support of non-standard lines of communication which are
proprietary should not be the focus of Ubuntu.

I have heard of a MSN client that has a lot of specific MSN features that even
Kopete and Gaim lack. Although I personally have not tried it - have a look
at 'aMSN'.

Cheers,
Pascal Klein

--