where can i find qmail for breezy?

Peter Lieverdink ubuntu at cafuego.net
Sat Aug 27 02:21:28 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 21:49 -0400, Stephen R Laniel wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 27, 2005 at 11:41:36AM +1000, Peter Lieverdink wrote:
> > Consider using an MTA with a less sucky license. Postfix is nice.
>
> See, e.g.,
> http://www.qmail.org/not-open-source.html
>
> I quote in full,
>
> "qmail is not open source
>
> In case you're wondering, qmail is not open source, and does
> not qualify for use of the OSI-Certified trademark. Other
> programs which Dan Bernstein licenses similarly, including
> djbdns, ucspi-tcp, and daemontools, are also not open
> source. For a program to be "open source", you must be able
> to, among other things, change the source and redistribute
> it. DJB prohibits distribution of modified code and so
> programs which are so-licensed are not open source. Other
> code written by DJB has been placed into the public domain.
> Public domain code is unlicensed, and it qualifies for use
> of the OSI-certified trademark."
>
> I prefer to give my support to people who are behind
> open-source software.
>
> Then again, this doesn't inspire much confidence in Postfix:
> http://cr.yp.to/maildisasters/postfix.html
>
> Though that may well be outdated news by now.

cafuego at macchiato:/var/spool/postfix
; ls /var/spool/postfix/maildrop/
ls: /var/spool/postfix/maildrop/: Permission denied

The maildrop dir is owned by posfix:maildrop and not accessible by
others.

It was probably fixed back in 1998 when that post was written. I note
DJB hasn't fixed his licensing, though ;-)

- P.