[MOTU] Need updated versions of packages... where to ask ?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Fri Aug 26 21:52:52 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 15:00 +0100, paul cooke wrote:
> On Friday 26 August 2005 12:13, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> > What wold be nice, is to make a package (or meta-package ?) that gathers
> > all the tools that consitute the tool chain, and of course make sure
> > that every package in it is up to date. This way one would just have to
> > install say "AVR tool-chain" package, and be sure to have everything he
> > needs, in the latest version ! :o)
> >

> I think you've just volunteered yourself for the task... ;)

Well if only I could !!!
Sadly this is well beyond my extremely limited skills. The only thing I
managed to compile, some time ago, was the "Clearlooks" gtk
theme......... anything more complicated that this, will fail :o(
I tried compiling the latest version of avrdude, but as "expected" ;-/
it failed. The "./configure --prefix)/usr" works, but the "make" fails
almost instantly :o(
I downloaded the latest version of 'avr-libc' and am now reading the
instructions in it to try to install it.
I looked at 'uisp' and 'simulavr' and they seem to be already up to
date, so all is well for these. I don't understand why some packages are
up to date, and others are wayyyy out of date, depsite all of them being
part of the same tool chain. More generally, I thought that repositories
were meant to be up to date in nature ! Apparently it's more complicated
than that.... :o(

--
Vince, just ordered his AVR and all the parts today, waiting for the
post man... :o)