Internet connection using Smart link 56k voice modem and Ubuntu 5.04 AMD64

didier mariño didier_marinio at yahoo.es
Fri Aug 26 16:09:41 UTC 2005

Hello Sebastian,

> Wasn't executed by ubuntu? You downloaded the
> tar-archive, right?
> Yes, I downloaded slmodem-2.9.10.tar, but I did not
unoacked it because I did not know how to make it
(still I don´t know).

> 1. The kernel-headers for your installed kernel:
> linux-headers-2.6.10-5.
Yes, the linux-kernel is 2.6.10-5

I don´t where to write the command "uname -a" in order
to see the platform that I´m using.

> 2. The "build-essential" meta-package which will
> provide the needed tools to
> compile the driver-wrapper.

Where is the "build essential" meta-packge?, Is it
part of the slmodem-2.9.10.tar file?.

 Next step "Compiling":
> 1. Open a terminal, change to the directory, where
> the unpacked  drivers
> reside ("cd slmodem-2.9.10")
I try to open the terminal, but the computer stop
working and I had to restart it over and over again.

Because of the about problem I could not do anything
else.

I don´t know how to change the directory because I
have  not been able to unoacked the file and  I don´t
how it works.

¿Do you thing my linux Ubuntu is not working?.

Thanks  a lot for your support.