multimedia problems

Alvin Thompson alvin-ubuntu at thompsonlogic.com
Fri Aug 26 15:48:47 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 07:13 +0200, Praveen Kumar wrote:
> hi,
>
> i have a few multimedia clips that i downloaded from my camcorder in
> OSX.. but when i try to open them with totem i get the error that it
> is unable to open the file and that i should install the plug-ins.
> after looking around for a while, i found out that there are a few
> multimedia codecs that i need to install (like ffmpeg etc) but using
> apt-get or synaptic, i am unable to find them in the list.. any
> solutions? is there a better player than totem?
>
> thanks a lot
> praveen kumar

go to www.ubuntuguide.org and follow the instructions there for setting
up codecs. that will get you pretty much all the codecs that totem
(gstreamer) needs for any type of file. while you're at that site, you
should probably follow the instructions for setting up DVD playback as
well (although xine is still much better at that).

hth,
alvin

--
Alvin Thompson