Screen rotation help needed

Chris ubuntu at functionalfuture.com
Fri Aug 26 14:51:04 UTC 2005

It seems that rotating the screen via xrandr throughly confuses both
GNOME and KDE.  I have two 1600x1200 LCD panels running with nVidia
TwinView.  This works fine with no rotation.  When I rotate the screens
(using xrandr -o <orientation>) both the KDE panel(s) and GNOME panels
appear to still think the screen is 1600x1200 (or 3200x1200) when it
should be 1200x1600 (or 2400x1600).  The panels end up with the wrong
width and the bottom panel is about 1/4 up from the bottom (in other
words it's at the 1200 position instead of 1600).

Any ideas on how to make this work?  I don't need to rotate on the fly,
if I can permanently make the screens rotated that would be fine.  Right
now I run xrandr from the /etc/X11/Xsession to set the orientation.  I
have not been able to figure out how to make GDM come up rotated so I
have to login sideways.

I don't know if it's possible to edit my xorg.conf and make changes or
if I should just keep using xrandr.  I had to manually set the
DisplaySize in xorg.conf because the DPI was all screwed up if I didn't
do that.

xdpyinfo shows the correct information:

$ xdpyinfo | grep -i dime
  dimensions:    2400x1600 pixels (610x406 millimeters)

(however as I mentioned that 610x406 size is manually set otherwise it
comes up with the size too small and reversed like 200x311)

Maybe this is an issue with TwinView.  nVidia says TwinView doesn't work
with rotation but it seem to work just fine if I manually set the
display size.

Thanks for any help.

--
// Chris