New newbie

Steve bassix at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 14:42:14 UTC 2005

On 8/26/05, Stephen Bennett <stephen.bennett at pirok.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Thanks to all. I went to the bios and changed the default to cdrom. The
> cd will still not boot. I get no error message. It simply goes back to
> the first image where you are told to press enter to boot or press F1
> for help. Each time I do that it very clearly starts and then stops and
> returns. Maybe it is a duff cd.
> --
>
> Stephen

Hi,

When you are in windows and put the CD in the drive, can you see files
on it? I think you may be right in thinking that something is wrong
with the CD. Sounds like your machine is properly detecting a CD and
trying to boot from it, but then it does not find the proper files to
succeed. Try another live CD if you can, or burn another disc if you
have the ISO image on your hard drive. If you downloaded the ISO file,
you should check the MD5 checksum to make sure the downloaded file is
correct (not corrupted).

-Steve.
--
Ubuntu :: Linux for Human Beings [Intelx86/AMD64/PowerPC] ubuntulinux.org