New newbie

Stephen Bennett stephen.bennett at pirok.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 26 11:42:43 UTC 2005

Hello everyone. From an extremely new newbie. I have a Ubuntu live CD
which is supposed to let me try out Linux before deciding finally to
ditch Windows. No matter what I do I can't get the thing to boot my
computer which is a Compaq Presario that I bought this year and which
has on it XP Professional.

Can anyone suggest something. Do I have a duff disk or is XP
particularly resistant. I've been through the help menu on the disk and
tried various ways of kidding my machine into doing it but have failed
completely. Although by no means an expert in these matters - and
certainly not in the league of most of the people contributing to this
list - I don't consider myself handless either.

Now, if  I'm being completely stupid, let me down gently. But the disk
says press enter and your machine will reboot, but it doesn't.

Thanks for your time.

--
Stephen Bennett