multimedia problems

david nux at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Aug 26 05:36:02 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 07:13 +0200, Praveen Kumar wrote:
> hi,
>
> i have a few multimedia clips that i downloaded from my camcorder in
> OSX.. but when i try to open them with totem i get the error that it
> is unable to open the file and that i should install the plug-ins.
> after looking around for a while, i found out that there are a few
> multimedia codecs that i need to install (like ffmpeg etc) but using
> apt-get or synaptic, i am unable to find them in the list.. any
> solutions? is there a better player than totem?

My experience has been that Totem seems to spend most of it's life
saying "I can't play this file", Xine is SO much better (mplayer is the
other big player) both are available using synaptic.
You could do with the w32codecs as well, I have a copy at home and don't
know the URL but I'm sure someone will post it.

Hope this helps...

regards

nux