SCSI : "hot" plugging scanners ?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Thu Aug 25 22:58:24 UTC 2005

Hello, SCSI gurus...

I have currently a SCSI scanner (Epson Snapscan 1236) attached to my
computer, that I keep turned off most of the time as I don't use it
often and am trying to save electricity in the best interest of both my
Wallet and the Planet.

However when I do need it, I can't just turn it on as it is not
detected, requiring me to reboot the machine, not very elegant.
So I was wondering, is there a way (some magical command line utility or
something) to ask the SCSI controller (low end Adaptec 2904)  to re-scan
the bus so it can find the scanner and hopefully Ubuntu will pick it up
(create its device node ie) ?
Or could hotplug do it maybe ? how ?

Thanks for any help/info...

Regards,