linux newbie - some issues

Praveen Kumar kattapraveen.kr at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 12:39:31 UTC 2005

hi,

i have recently installed ubuntu linux on my laptop after hearing a
lot of praise regarding it. however i am a linux newbie with probably
way below average knowledge in linux. so i have a few issues which i
am unable to resolve... would be grateful if i get a few directions :)

first my setup... i have a powerbook G4 with 1.25GHz proc, 80GD HDD,
Built-in ethernet, airport, bluetooth, 256MB RAM (i had 512 but one of
the chips has crashed :( ), 400 and 800 Firewire, TVout, VGA out, and
2 USB ports.

i have divided my HDD into 3 partitions 50GB for osX, 10 GB for ubuntu
and 20GB as my data partition (FAT32). i have configured the yaboot
for multiple OS with linux as default.

prob 1: during the installation both the network cards ie ethernet and
wireless were identified correctly and installed but as i see the
system now, the airport card, though displayed in the device mgr
correctly is not listed in the network devices and neither can i use
it in any other way.

prob 2: this is probably a more imp problem. i have a internet
connection through LAN. i have a default gateway as 10.120.76.121 and
a internet proxy server as 10.120.78.2. though i am able to browse the
network as such i am unable to connect to the internet. i have tried
setting the default gateway as both the gateway and the proxy but no
joy. and i have already set the proxy in the network proxy
configuration. incidentally even in the OSX when i try to access
internet using fink in the terminal or any other downloads through the
terminal , i am unable to do so despite the fact that OSX as such has
no problems connecting to the internet. this is a big problem since i
am unable to update or install any new program in ubuntu. i have also
tried giving fake gateway address / fake proxy address in OSX to test
which one actually works... but with either methosd.. the internet
does not work, i have to give the actuall ip addresses.

prob 3: i divided my HDD into 3 partitions with 20 GB as FAT32 so that
i could use it as a common data drive between ubuntu and OSX but the
problem is, it is mounting only in ubuntu. i have tried editing the
/etc/fstab file in OSX as well as thorough the disk utility program
but am unable to use it in OSX. is there anyway by which i can use a
partition in both the operating systems?

thank you
praveen kumar