german keyboard encoding and vim

Christoph Georgi christoph.georgi at web.de
Thu Aug 25 07:25:16 UTC 2005

Magnus Therning wrote:

> Have you tried installing the package latex-ucs and replace latin1 with
> utf8?
>
>  \inputenc[utf8]{inputenc}

haven't yet, but thanks for the tip!

>>as far as i can tell, the whole code thing is somehow messed up, and
>>vim is using some different keyboard mapping tables then X and the
>>console?!?! i already checked  xmodmap -pk, but the alphabetic keys
>>aren't mapped there.. just the "commandkeys" like backspace.
>>
>>can anyone help me out on this subject?! is there any command to figure
>>out what code which key produces (esp. for vim) as i could then hack my
>>own keyboard code mapping thingy for latex?
>

> I believe that keycodes and file encodings are two different things.
> Somewhere there is a translation between the two but it's all pretty
> much a mystery to me...
>
> Would you mind telling us what your LOCALE settings are?

they're all on en_NZ.UTF-8.. i think this might cause the troubles.. but
i can't figure out how to change to de_DE.UTF-8 (?). (will this change
the language, too? i want to keep the system in english language if
that's possible but still using german locales ..)

> Please also tell us what kind of behaviour you are after.

i would like the terminal to accept german characters by default and
vim, in the terminal, to use utf-8 encoding to display my documents
correctly, cause it seems that it doesn't... i already searched and
replaced all german characters in my latex document with the appropriate
commands, so latex has least priority..

thanks,
christoph
--