Networking : how to bridge two NICs to share internet access ?

William Chapman jeddahbill at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 01:03:36 UTC 2005

> Hi Bill,
>
> Wow, I am not sure I understand everything you said, I am getting lost
> already :-/  Do you mean, in essence, that :
>
> 1) networking is a very vast and immensely complex subject ?
> 2) I should give up trying to feed internet access to eth1 from eth0 ?
> 3) there are cheap/consumer devices named 'routers' that can take care
> of all the problems in hardware, and let me enjoy all the benefits with
> next to zero, or only moderate, pain ?
>
> Looks like I will need one of these little things then... how much do
> they cost ? Maybe I can get a dirty cheap one on ebay ?
> 4 ports would be enough : one for my main desktop machine, one for
> another machine (project in the pipeline...) that will back-up daily the
> data from the main machine, a third port to connect a laptop eventually,
> and a free port for future extensions or I don't know...
>

> Regards,
>

> --
> Vince

Vince,

(1)  Networking is a pretty complex subject.  Browse the RFCs!  But
the fundamentals aren't difficult to grasp is you take it step by
step.  (That's why I recommend Stevens.)

(2)  If your goal is to explore the ins-and-outs of utilizing the
routing capabilities of Linux - built-in and potential - as a learning
experience, you definitely need to get eth0 and eth1 talking
(routing!).  (You definitely need Stevens for this.)

(3)  Yes!  Absolutely!   If your goal is primarily to setup an
internet access point for a home network, by all means go shopping for
a broadband NAT router, possibly wireless.  They aren't that
expensive, and are easy to set up.  Also, non-wireless models are
surprisingly cheap these days.  (It still helps to know something
about networking to fully utilize these devices.  Stevens is probably
overkill for this purpose.  You might browse the web for simpler
networking books.  O Reilly probably has a good, Linux-oriented
title.)

Your objective setup sounds like mine.  The "free port" I use for a
network laser printer.  My notebooks can be wired, but are also
wireless-capable.  My router, that Netgear WGT624, has served me well
for a year or so.  And I'm sure the price has dropped.

Again, good luck!

Bill