Networking : how to bridge two NICs to share internet access ?

Michael J. Lynch mlynch at gcom.com
Wed Aug 24 19:32:57 UTC 2005

Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
>>Don't go down that road.  It's much easier than that.  Just us iptables
>>to set up a NAT (A.K.A  IP Masquerade) server.  Google for linux NAT and
>>you should find lots of Howto's.
>>
>>--
>>Michael J. Lynch
>

> Ahhhh, great, that should allow me to learn something and get my hands
> dirty a bit ! ;o)
> I will investigate this route first then, and if realy it's too
> complicated for me, I can just fire up this 'brctl' utility as a last
> resort ! ;o)

Bridging is NOT what you want to do.  Bridging is a completely
different beast.  Also note, ipchains was replaced with iptables
a looooong time ago so investigating anything to do with that
will likely not give you any useful info for newer kernels with
iptables built in.

--
Michael J. Lynch

What if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about -- author unknown