Setting up automatic download

Yannick Le Saint (kyncani) y.lesaint at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 19:15:28 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 13:56 -0400, Rajiv Vyas wrote:
> Is there a program or a combination of ways to automate the following:
> On a given date (say once a week or month) go to particular URLs, save
> that page as an HTML file on your HD and hopefully email it to you?
>
> The last time I recieved an email from a senior Evolution developer,
> which was four years ago, he said that you could set in your calendar
> a task so that at a given time Evolution would launch a particular
> URL. But it does not save the page as an HTML file. And I don't think
> it could email it to you. Wget down loads URLs in a file (or even as a
> command) but I am not sure you could set it as a task -- unless you
> set it up in Cron.

  Exactly as you said :
    - cron to run things on a given date
    - wget to download things
    - /usr/bin/mail (available in package mailutils) to send mail

  I would set up in cron something like
  wget http://somepage/ --output-document=/dest.html &>/dev/null && mail
--to myself --subject http://somepage/ </dest.html

  You get the idea