Crashing with Dell

Matt Patterson matt at v8zman.com
Wed Aug 24 17:44:09 UTC 2005

I had the exact same problem with my system, hard lockups. I have a dual
athlon though, and I had a hint, no lockups when using a single
processor kernel, and distortion in the sound when heavy graphics were
displayed on one of hte monitors (I had 1 agp and 1 pci video card). In
the end it was the pci video adapter. If I disabled all devices but that
adapter (and tried many pci adapters, including the onboard one) I would
get lockups, without it no lockups. I upgraded to a dualhead nvidia agp
card, everything works like a chamop now.

The system had been running windows server 2003 for a year with no
problems before my switchover, so definitely something directly linux
related, but hardware as well.

Matt