multi x users

Martin Schmeisser schmeissermartin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 17:36:35 UTC 2005

Hi all,

i have a NVidia GeForce FX 5500 with 2 outputs (one VGA, one DVI). I got
it to run wit NView or Xinerama multihead. However i would love to have
actually 2 xservers, each for one monitor and each with its own mouse
and keyboard.

I understand that this has been done with XFree. One of the desciptions
used and a kernel patch called ruby the other one didnt [1][2].

Now i have some Questions :

Those tutorials are fairly old. Is the ruby patch maybe already
incorporated into kernel 2.6...?

Does anone know if this has been done using Xorg?

I understand the Ruby patch is to stop the kernel from interperting USB
keyboard calls so the xfree can do this. The xserver has to be hacked to
actually do so. This seems like a pretty ugly hack...is there a cleaner
way?

thanks to all of you for your time, a great yommunity and LBNL distro!!!

cheers, Martin

[1] http://www.linux.com/howtos/XFree-Local-multi-user-HOWTO/index.shtml
[2] http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/3100/1/
--