Crashing with Dell

Carlos Escutia Chávez carlosescutia at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 17:08:29 UTC 2005

I had the same, bloody problem: hard crashes at 5 minutes of using it
(Dell Inspiron 8100). Fiddling around with dmesg, I found that it was
nvidia driver the culprit. I was running Hoary, with additional repos,
so during a system upgrade, it came with a new kernel, AND, new
restricted modules. Nvidia driver included was buggy, so I just
downgraded kernel & restricted modules.

Not a single freeze since then : )

Hope it helps

2005/8/24, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca>:
> Matt Patterson wrote:
>
> > Hard lockups are generally a hardware issue.
>
> yeah, except there's a known problem with certain dells with SATA drives and
> a race condition with the CD drive (and a patch working it's way through
> kernel development).
>
> I haven't had a lockup since I put a readable disk in the drive...
> --
> derek

007 - Con licencia para... leer, escribir, ejecutar