can you recomend me a lightweight Linux distribution.

John Conover conover at rahul.net
Wed Aug 24 00:15:15 UTC 2005

Serg Belokamen writes:

> Sounds like  an old machine... "I don't want to it to be slow" - get a
> new laptop.
>
> You can run it as a server, but as a desktop machine I dont think it
> will be fast at all.
>
> On 24/08/05, sahutoglu sonmez <sahutsonmez at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I have an old Dell laptop that has 128 mb ram and 3GB
> > harddisk. I would like to have Latex, matlab, and
> > mathematica on it. I don't want to it to be slow. So I
> > would like something lightweight. Since I am a newbie
> > I would like to be able to install programmes like in
> > Ubuntu using something like synaptic.
> > Can anyone recomend me a distribution.
> > Thanks in advance.

http://www.knoppix.net/ might work, but Sahutoglu is right-it might be
slow. I use mostly Ubuntu, but have knoppix running on a 128MB, 400
MHz., 2 Gig. HD Pentium machine, and it runs adaquately fast as a
desktop. But I use fvwm or icewm instead of gnome or kde to save
memory foot print, too.

	John

--

John Conover, conover at rahul.net, http://www.johncon.com/