Pinning and backports

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Tue Aug 23 22:56:22 UTC 2005

On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 01:50:56PM +0200, Shot - Piotr Szotkowski wrote:
>Hello.
>
>Magnus Therning:
>
>> Is there some easy way of achieving the following in APT?
>>
>>  - Have backports in source.list
>>  - Keep the system mainly on Hoary (i.e. I don't want 'apt-get upgrade'
>>    to pull in all the backports packages)
>>  - Still get all the security updates for Hoary
>
>I have a similar setup:
>Hoary + official security + official updates by default
>official backports + unofficial backports and extras + Breezy as options
>
>If you read `man apt_preferences` the following should be clear. :o)

Yes, the problem I had was what to pin on. I didn't find anything that
suggested they had a release set and didn't think about origin.

>My /etc/apt/sources.list:
>
>deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hoary main restricted universe multiverse
>deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hoary-updates main restricted universe multiverse
>deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hoary-backports main restricted universe multiverse
>deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hoary-security main restricted universe multiverse
>
>deb http://ubuntu-backports.mirrormax.net/ hoary-backports main universe multiverse restricted
>deb http://ubuntu-backports.mirrormax.net/ hoary-extras main universe multiverse restricted
>
>deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ breezy main restricted universe multiverse
>
>My /etc/apt/preferences:
>
>Package: *
>Pin: origin ubuntu-backports.mirrormax.net
>Pin-Priority: 499
>
>Package: *
>Pin: release hoary-backports
>Pin-Priority: 499

My testing showed that the second of the groups didn't accomplish
anything. I can't quite work out why it wouldn't though...

Irritatingly enough it seems the update-notifier shows at all times that
updates are available. However, when I click on it there is nothing to
install (which is correct since the pinning works). Is there any way of
fixing that?

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

Dizzyclaimer:
If you believe this is in any way, shape, or form actual official
information or opinion, then you are probably as confused if not more
so than I am... I think...