Digital Camera

Andy Choens gunksta at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 12:13:57 UTC 2005

> So.. I connect my new digital camera to a USB port and turn the thing on and... nothing happens.   Did some research and I thought Nautilus was supposed to make it accessible and put an icon on the desktop? (Hoary)

Your camera could still be the "problem" even though it works in
Windows.  Here's a couple of ideas.  I like the earlier poster who
suggested turning your camera on beffore plugging it in.  I've noticed
that on one of my cameras this is an absolute necessity, and on the
other it is not.  Don't know why...something to do with the way the
camera uses it's USB port.

Second, dig around in your settings onboard your camera.  Since this
is a new camera, your camera may be trying to talk to your computer in
"Pict Bridge" mode.  This is a proprietary thing that works on
Windows, but NOT on Linux.  You need to change the setting to either
Mass Storage Device or PTP depending on what you have as options and
what you want.  If you select mass storage, then when you plug in the
USB cable, GNOME will hand you a message telling you there are
pictures on this drive, would you like to import them.  If you say
yes, it will give you a standard gthumb window.  It's basically the
same thing with PTP mode with a few tweaks.

I recommend looking in your camera's manual to see how to change USB modes.

--andy