crash during run_qtparted on DELL

jostraso jostraso at netcologne.de
Mon Aug 22 20:14:16 UTC 2005

Hallo,
I have an issue here with running qtparted on a DELL Inspiron 7500. Maybe
someone out there has an idea about how to work around it.
I am trying to set up Ubuntu Linux to coexist with Windows 98 on the main (C)
drive. The partitioning step described in the how-to using the rescue disc
doesn't work. As soon as I launch qtparted and select /dev/hda, it opens an
"initializing" window and crashes with an error message. After that, a prompt
shows up but the keyboard only types nonsense symbols and I have to switch off
to regain control of the pc.
I partitioned the drive using another software (partition magic) and would like
to install Ubuntu in the partitions I created (main & swap) but the Ubuntu
installer apparently does not allow me to bypass the partitioning step...

Anyone has experience / ideas ? I'd be grateful for any tips.

Thanks a lot, regards.

jostraso
(hopefully once again a linux user)