PCMCIA issue

Omega21 omega21 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 01:45:14 UTC 2005

On 8/15/05, Sebastian Müsch <sebastian at sebastian-muesch.de> wrote:

> Hallo,
>
> Once upon a time Ian K wrote:
>
> > Hi there.
> > Im new to Ubuntu. I have a laptop, with a PCMCIA card (3com 589) and I
> > _really_ need
> > internet. How can I go about getting this card to work? I plug it into
> > the laptop, and
> > it beeps. How do I get this going?
>
> We need some more infos:
>
> 1. Logfiles (loading schould be mentioned in /var/log/messages)?

cs: IO port probe 0x0100-0x04ff: clean
cs: IO port probe 0x0800-0x08ff: clean
cs: IO port probe 0x0c00-0x0cff: clean
cs: IO port probe 0x0a00-0x0aff: clean
cs: warning no high memory space available!

2. Waht drivers for pcmcia and for the card are loaded (lsmod)?

pcmcia_core UsedBy pcmcia,yenta_socket
pcmcia UsedBy 2
yenta_socket UsedBy 1
3c589_cs UsedBy 0 <-- This IS the right driver for the card Im using.
Thats it!

3. Check out if there's an interrupt-problem: "cat /proc/interrupts".

9: 547 XT-PIC acpi, Intel 440MX, yenta (?)

4. Are you sure the device is not configured? Check out "cat /proc/net/dev".

Lots of zeros, sit0 and lo mentioned.

Cu
> Sebastian
>
> --
> .:'
> _ :'_
> .`_`-'_`. Sebastian Müsch
> :__|\ /|__: sebastian at sebastian-muesch.de
> :__| |__: iTunes ist aus :-(
> `._.-._.'

Thank you very much, sorry for the long reply.
Ian