madwifi or not?

pkoufalas ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Tue Aug 23 00:41:54 UTC 2005

Jochen, I have the same multimode Atheros chipset on my laptop and am
using Hoary, stock.  Your WPA config pretty much matches mine and I
have it working with WPA-PSK+TKIP.  But I did have to use static
configuration rather than DHCP--I am 99% sure the issue with dynamic
configuration was at the other end, not in the laptop. (In any case, it
authenticated fine.)

You can use the wireless-tools utilities to check things out on ath0,
e.g.

sudo iwconfig ath0

as well as

sudo wpa_cli

to check on authentication.

Nb: The /etc/defaults script is for use by /etc/init.d scripts as far
as I know.  It is read if you have the wpa_supplicant service in
/etc/init.d starting on boot.  But I do what you do and use pre-up and
down or post-down to start and stop it.

pkoufalas