intrusion detected

MrKnisely mrknisely at mrknisely.is-a-geek.org
Mon Aug 22 23:35:13 UTC 2005

Dick Davies wrote:

>On 11/08/05, MrKnisely <mrknisely at mrknisely.is-a-geek.org> wrote:
>

>>What is worg with running FTPd?  I know usernames and passwords are sent
>>plaintext, but what is the issue with simply having the daemon running?
>>So long as you don't publish it to the internet and FTP from the
>>outside, I don't see a security issue here.
>>

>There are just better things to use than FTP, that's all. I've seen
>nice pointy-clicky
>win32 apps for talking SFTP, so why not use that?
>
>The OP didn't mention he was firewalled off, or that he wasn't using it.

As said previously, I'm not suggesting to put this thing on the
Internet.  I'm talking about efficent file transfer within a network.
FTP does not have the encryption overhead of sftp.  It's just a good,
mature file transfer method.  Why not use it?

If you need a method to move data across the internet, use scp.  It's
better than sftp, in my oppinion.

I hate it when people just say, "don't run FTP, it's not secure."

MrKnisely