First computer language

Louis Brook l.brook at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 20:24:02 UTC 2005

On 22/08/05, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> Louis Brook wrote:
>
> > I started learning with Perl, initially from a web-based perspective
> > but I don't think you can go far wrong with Python as a first
> > language.
> >
> > Along with a good text, learning with Python will develop your ability
> > to program with objects in a straight-forward manner. No-matter what
> > language I'm using, I find it easier to find a solution by figuring
> > out how I'd tackle it in Python first and then using the equivalent
> > method in Java etc.
> >
> > Has anyone argued Cobol yet?
>
> Cobol is good at what it does.  It's easier to learn than most languages.
> But it has a rather limited usefulness, these days :-)

Couldn't agree more! I work in a large financial institution and there
certainly is still a demand for COBOL programmers here.

Uninteresting fact: I read that the amount of money spent on COBOL
each year is greater than the entire GDP of Switzerland. However, I'm
not sure what exactly this statistic says about COBOL...

Apologies for O/T-ness.