number of users: what's the key?

Vram lamsokvr at xprt.net
Mon Aug 22 18:40:27 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 00:45 +1000, Peter Garrett wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:10:09 -0400
> Alan Swartz <kde at swartzes.com> wrote:
>
> > Derek Broughton wrote:

> > > Nope, did that.  I don't get an extra login.  It must be the type of
> > > terminal - I'm using konsole.
> >
> > Interesting. Yes, I just tried Konsole and the count doesn't increment.
> > I tried new tabs and new windows -- the same.
> >
> > I also tried xterm and it does cause the users to increase by one each
> > time you open a new term window.
>
> urxvt also doesn't increment the number of users here, even when invoked with -ls for a new login shell.
> Aterm, xterm, gnome-terminal all increment.
>
> I'd like to know what causes this behaviour, since I like to know how many terminals I have open... :)
>
> Maybe someone can enlighten us?

I hate to do this....

I know it is not a good answer.

But, I don't quite understand your question..

So maybe this will help

man who

man users

So state the question in definitive terms.

Not like: "How many stars are there?"

But like: "Standing on Bill Gates back porch looking South ... How many
stars are there?"

Thanks

Vram