resolution on the inspiron 700m and using an external monitor

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Sun Aug 21 13:41:18 UTC 2005

sunscape wrote:

> You need to download and install 855resolution (google). It comes with
> good directions to compile/install. Make sure you have
> build-essentials. Then make a startup script (search for boot script at
> ubuntu.com) and it will work.

No, you don't.  I tried it, it doesn't recognize most of the modes that Xorg
recognizes natively, and was just a waste of time.

Use gtf to get a valid modeline, then add it to your xorg.conf "Monitor"
section.  Add the new mode to the beginning of the "Modes" strings in your
"Screen" section, and you should be good to go.

--
derek