Old World Mac

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 13:21:37 UTC 2005

On 8/20/05, Peter Gort <pgort at iprimus.com.au> wrote:
> Video is
> onboard on the 8600, as opposed to the 9600's card.  Nice to know I
> can always pick up a PCI video card and use that.

Though from my reading (and as I pointed out in the other thread) you
will have to patch Open Firmware first. One site also implied you may
be restricted only to video cards with Open Firmware support....

I suspect the issue will be that only Open Firmware video cards can
work when the Mac is booting, but once it gets started linux doesn't
care as long as the kernel has the card's driver available.

This is the reason most distros have given up on oldworlds -- you can
ultimately get them going but it takes a lot of work...