Kernels (newbie)

OldGaf ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Sun Aug 21 01:37:02 UTC 2005

I am just starting with Ubuntu after mandrake, fedora and a bunch of
live CD's

I have an AMD Athlon XP 2800+ and 1.5 gig of ram.

I am running 2.6.10-5-386 and just got things the way I want them when
I noticed the ram (or lack there of) being detected.

Sigh.... I tried the K7 kernel but ran into nvidia problems.......
could not startx and I am not so good with the terminal yet.....

I guess I want to know if I should be using this kernel (K7) and if
there will be any issues if I trudge on through and try to make it
work.

As I said, this is the first time I got this far with almost no real
issues.....

java and flash is working with Firefox,

my nvidia drivers went in with ease,

I can read and right to my fat32 drive,

I can share my printer with my winblows network....

Can you tell I am VERY impressed with this distro?

I really don't want to make a mess of it, but I do want all my ram!

Thanks,

OG

--
OldGaf