number of users

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 21:33:26 UTC 2005

On 8/20/05, Ben Miller <wheelscribe at gmail.com> wrote:

> >>open up multiple term windows and count the number of users as you add a
> >>window. My count keeps going up by one.

> Thanks for the information. For the record, I currently have three
> terminal sessions open and my users command reports four.

My guess (from reading the uptime information on my system using the
"ps u" command is that the first user is the X session (so most
processes start underneath that user) and then each new shell session
adds one user to the number.

To test my theory, try logging out from the X session and start a
session using a virtual terminal and see if you get the listing down
to 1 user. If it turns out the login screen STILL uses a user session,
you'd have to kill off your display manager to get down to one user.
That would also free up resources on the machine that you could use
from ANOTHER machine on your network.