Topic of the list?

Brian Puccio brian at brianpuccio.net
Sat Aug 20 14:57:42 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-08-20 at 17:36 +0300, Janne Vänttinen wrote:
> Tom Adelstein wrote:
> > This is really off topic for this list. Please drop this topic.
> > Discussing Microsoft on this list has created problems in the past. We
> > don't need to repeat past errors.
> >
> > Thank you.
>
> Being new to the list, what are actually the 'in' kind of topics for the
> list? I mean, the official line 'Ubuntu Help and User Discussions' is a
> bit wiiiiiddddeeeeee. Could anyone be a bit more specific?

Speaking as a subscriber, occasional participant and NOT a position of
authority, I believe the list is for discussing Ubuntu, seeking help,
offering suggestions, things of that nature. Bringing up Windows has
often stirred up arguments. There is the sounder list for more off topic
things, however, I'm not sure if controversial matters are welcome over
there. I believe the two other topics frowned upon are politics (see the
discussion on American violence, specifically) and religion (pagans, I
think), I remember seeing long threads on those topics and neither ended
well.