Extremely slow burning in K3B

Jim McQuiston jsmcq at comcast.net
Sat Aug 20 02:55:10 UTC 2005

Renaud Vernet wrote:

> Jim McQuiston wrote:
>

> First let me apologize for the lengthy post, however I thought it
> better to supply more information than not enough.  I am having great
> difficulties in getting K3B to burn at speeds greater than 4X despite
> have a burner capable of 48X. I have endeavored to read up on the
> issues surrounding poor burning speeds and believe that I have tackled
> issues surrounding enabling DMA and setting the SUID bit on CDRECORD.
> However, I am getting nowhere and request the sage advice of
> Ubuntu/Kubuntu users. Hopefully, I have provided comprehensive
> diagnostic information below:
>
> root at virgil:/home # uname -a
> Linux virgil 2.6.10-5-amd64-generic #1 Fri Jun 24 16:54:18 UTC 2005
> x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> root at virgil:/home # cdrecord -checkdrive
> Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a38 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu) Copyright (C)
> 1995-2004 Joerg Schilling
> NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an unofficial (modified) release of
> cdrecord
>       and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original version.
>       Please send bug reports and support requests to
> <cdrtools at packages.debian.org>.
>       The original author should not be bothered with problems of this
> version.
>
> cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.10-5-amd64-generic
> cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
> cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or
> Solaris.
> scsidev: '1,5,0'
> scsibus: 1 target: 5 lun: 0
> cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/sg*'. Cannot
> open SCSI driver.
> cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
> cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.
> cdrecord:
> cdrecord: For more information, install the cdrtools-doc
> cdrecord: package and read /usr/share/doc/cdrecord/README.ATAPI.setup .
>
> root at virgil:/home # hdparm -I /dev/hdc
>
> /dev/hdc:
>
> ATAPI CD-ROM, with removable media
>         Model Number:       LITE-ON LTR-48246S
>         Serial Number:
>         Firmware Revision:  SS09
> Standards:
>         Used: ATAPI for CD-ROMs, SFF-8020i, r2.5
>         Supported: CD-ROM ATAPI-2
> Configuration:
>         DRQ response: 50us.
>         Packet size: 12 bytes
> Capabilities:
>         LBA, IORDY(cannot be disabled)
>         DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 *udma2
>              Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
>         PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
>              Cycle time: no flow control=227ns  IORDY flow control=120ns
>
> root at virgil:/home # chmod u+s /usr/bin/cdrecord.*
> root at virgil:/home #
> from /etc/hdparm
>
> #/dev/discs/disc0/disc {
> #    mult_sect_io = 16
> #    write_cache = off
> #    spindown_time = 240
> [...]

/dev/hdc" ?

Here are the results:

root at virgil:/home # hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)

I cannot tell from this message whether DMA was off and I set it to on,
or merely that it is reporting that it is on to start with.  This
command, by itself, does not appear to help my problem. Burning is still
extremely slow.

Willing to try anything at this point.

--
 Jim McQuiston