can't launch Ethereal as root

kidgoo ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Fri Aug 19 18:57:10 UTC 2005

Sorry...I should have been more clear.  I'm running breezy.  I am
running through sudo...not an actual root account.

>From the command line.

$ sudo ethereal

Could not set capabilities: Operation not permitted

Running from gnome with gksudo reports.

Failed to run ethereal as user root:

Child terminated with 1 status

Probably the same error as above, just not displayed.

Running from gnome with gksu -u root wouldn't work in my setup, of
course...

Jack Jackson Wrote:
> Has alt+F2 and then

> gksu -u root /usr/bin/ethereal

> not worked for you? Is root actually enabled on your setup, that is,

> have you set a specific root password?

> kidgoo wrote:

> > I am having a similar yet probably unrelated problem.  If I try to
> run

> > ethereal as root, I get simply: Could not set capabilities:
> Operation

> > not permitted.

> > I can run it as a user, but that does no good to look at live

> > traffic..

> > Any ideas?

kidgoo