Can't apply linux-image-2.6.10-5.386

Rich Duzenbury rduz-ubuntu at theduz.com
Fri Aug 19 18:10:34 UTC 2005

Hi again ubuntu-ers

I've got a few ubuntu machines running hoary.  This particular machine
was installed from scratch with root raid, using the installer provided
on the ubuntu cd-rom.

When I try to update this computer, the installer for
linux-image-2.6.10-5-386 fails as follows:

Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
linux-image-2.6.10-5-386 is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 0B of additional disk space will be used.
Setting up linux-image-2.6.10-5-386 (2.6.10-34.4) ...
File descriptor 3 left open
File descriptor 4 left open
File descriptor 5 left open
File descriptor 6 left open
File descriptor 7 left open
    Finding all volume groups
  No volume groups found
/usr/sbin/mkinitrd: /dev/evms/.nodes/sdb2: Cannot find LVM device
Failed to create initrd image.
dpkg: error processing linux-image-2.6.10-5-386 (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
 linux-image-2.6.10-5-386

I don't understand this error.  I don't believe that there are any LVM
devices on this system, and I don't believe there ever have been.

Here is a copy of the /etc/fstab file for this system:

#
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
/dev/md2        /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0
1
/dev/md0        /boot           ext3    defaults        0       2
/dev/md1        none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/hdb        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0

All suggestions welcome.

Thank you.

Regards,
Rich