(Breezy) NICs all renamed

Stephen R Laniel steve at laniels.org
Fri Aug 19 14:53:43 UTC 2005

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 09:04:54AM -0400, Stephen R Laniel wrote:
> For some reason, one of the Breezy upgrades must have
> renamed all my network interfaces. Now eth0 (which used to
> be the wireless NIC) is eth1 (which used to be the wired
> NIC). This is quite annoying.

And now it has switched back: eth0 is back to being
wireless, and eth1 is back to being wired. This seems
related to recent changes in the wireless-tools package:

wireless-tools (27+28pre8-1ubuntu2) breezy; urgency=low

  * Enable takeover support in ifrename startup script, this will allow
    interfaces to swap names.  (Ubuntu #8391, #10240, #13551).

 -- Scott James Remnant <scott at ubuntu.com>  Thu, 18 Aug 2005 02:23:57 +0100

Will I keep getting the swapped interface names, or is this
now fixed for good (or at least for a while)?

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve at laniels.org
+(617) 308-5571