local ldap for [kde|gnome]

Martin Marcher ekimus at xover.htu.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Aug 19 08:52:35 UTC 2005

NOTE: i cross posted this to kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com _and_
ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com. Reply to is set to:
ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com

Hi,

i'm trying to set up a local openldap server for use with the kde _and_ gnome
adressbook (possibly integrate thunderbird and other ldap aware clients).

requirements:

listen only on 127.0.0.1 per default
provide a scheme that integrates with kde _and_ gnome stuff
 multiple emails per contact
 multiple IM entries per contact
 different addresses per contact (office, private...)
 other stuff (have the directory tree separated from other trees, for
enterprise usage, like login directory separated from the contacts that
people use - this will probably be just some other DN)

Now the problems i see are:

which layout should one use for this (especially kde integrates lots of stuff
like IM contacts and a bunch of different email adresses, don't know about
gnome since I don't use it normally)

NOTE: I just set up ldap once for samba authentication as a learning
experience. so I am by no means a ldap-guru. the links i used to set it up
can be found at the end of the mail. Also is someone has ubuntu specific docs
about this i'd be very glad to get them. I'll probably post a howto to the
wiki (or at least to the list, I'm not a wiki user normally i just look
around and use what i find with minor bugfixes in the howtos).

So if anyone's interested mail me, or join the #ubuntu channel on freenode
(I'm also on the german #ubuntu-de channel). I think i'll start this whole
thing next monday until then googling and docs searching :)

documentation links:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/LDAP-HOWTO.html
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/LDAP-Implementation-HOWTO.html