permision denied to write in a partition mounted at startup

nascent16 ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Fri Aug 19 01:13:23 UTC 2005

Ed Cogburn Wrote:

> MS isn't interested in working with us, why should we with them?

It's not a question of whether or not they are interested in working
with us. I don't believe I ever expressed any support for Microsoft or
their business practices. I'm not interested in grudge matches though,
open source software is about making software more accessible to
everybody. We can't get hung up on the fact that Microsoft isn't going
to help us. While I personally feel that being more cooperative would
not necessarily be bad business, they obviously feel differently and so
we need to cope with that. We should work with them because we're
committed to software, not to business. We don't need to stoop to their
level.

Ed Cogburn Wrote:

> Microsoft is absolutely uninterested in "interacting" with Linux.

> You're complaining to the wrong people.  NTFS isn't fully supported
> because

> that is the way MICROSOFT wants it.

You're absolutely right that it's Microsoft's fault NTFS isn't fully
supported, but does that really justify dumping NTFS altogether? I
don't think so. The people on the NTFS project have spent a countless
number of hours looking at hex (if you've never done that, consider
yourself quite lucky) just so that we can have basic read support, and
they'll keep counting hex until they can figure out how to write to
NTFS. I can't imagine why they would torture themselves like that
unless they too understand the necessity of compatability. If Linux is
to succeed it will only because we try to succeed where Microsoft
fails, and that is to offer choice for the casual desktop user, the
network administrator, and the hardware developer. If Linux can live up
to its claim that it can run on anything, then we have an operating
system that can be used with anything and talk to anything else. It's
an idyllic outlook, but one which I'm sure many here share or they
would not be suffering through the Linux growing pains. We can't drop
NTFS cause then we would be selling our souls. Or lying down on the
ground and letting them be taken away. Either way, I'm incredibly
greatful to the people who are so committed as those that work on NTFS
support and I feel that we should do everything in our power to support
them.

--
nascent16