Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.12.5/modules.dep

Michael J. Lynch mlynch at gcom.com
Thu Aug 18 17:06:18 UTC 2005

Renaud Vernet wrote:
> Michael J. Lynch wrote:
>
>> Renaud Vernet wrote:
>>
>>> When I don't use an initrd, I get the following message on boot :
>>>
>>> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown
>>> block-(0.0)
>>>
>>> And I have no idea what means this unknown block (0.0)
>>>

>> Don't bother....initrd is required.  The error is because you are
>> not using it.  The other problem needs to be fixed, you can not
>> just not use initrd.
>>

> ok
> could my initrd file be wrong  ?
> I get absolutely no error message when I type :
>
> cd /usr/src/linux
> sudo mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd.img-2.6.12.5
> sudo update-grub
>
> and the error message is rather odd : "load modules.dep" ?
> there is no sense to "load" modules.dep !!

The problem *may* be that you didn't specify the kernel version
when you ran mkinitrd.  If you don't specify it, it defaults to
the running kernel version.  Try

sudo mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd.img-2.6.12.5 2.6.12.5
sud update-grub

See if that help.

--
Michael J. Lynch

What if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about -- author unknown