Threaded and deprecated Qt

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu Aug 18 14:26:30 UTC 2005

Douglas Alves wrote:

> Sebastian wrote:
>
>> Are the development-packages and the headers installed?
>
> "libqt3-dev - Qt development files"     YES, they were.
> "libqt3-headers - Qt3 header files"     NOW THESE ARE TOO.
>

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>>  if you want to use non-ubuntu software with Ubuntu,
>
> non-ubuntu software?!!! I understand Ubuntu maintainers customize some
> packages to work seamlessly here, but thought any Debianized software
> could be installed without trouble!

Definitely not.  Right now, hoary & sarge are about at the same stage of
development, and breezy & sid are also, but the "stable" ubuntu distro and
Debian stable will continue to get farther and farther apart.   The
development version of ubuntu (currently breezy), otoh, should always be
_fairly_ close to Debian sid - but even then, things like the GCC 4.0
transition occur at different speeds, and you can't guarantee any other
debianized package will work easily with ubuntu.  However, I didn't get the
idea that your OpenKiosk was a debianized package at all.

>> you need to figure out where it is going to look for these things.  Then
>> either change the make file for OpenKiosk, or make symlinks from where it
>> expects to find software to where you have it.
>
> Now here I'm really going to have to learn Linux ways!
> Could you guys give me some help with this?
> I guess you'd prefer to point me to some How-To on editing make files.

If you were using the traditional "./configure; make; make install" you'd
just look through the makefile to find where it said it was looking for a
specific path, compare the path to where that app exists on your system,
and symlink or modify the makefile appropriately.

For your later question about Berkely db, I would do the same thing - look
through the makefile to figure out where it wants the db files and make
symlinks to the files installed from ubuntu (it _might_ insist on db4.2 - I
think I have three different versions of db, because different packages
have different dependencies).  I try not to install anything from a tarball
if I can get it as a package, and not from a non-ubuntu package if I can
get it from ubuntu.  At least when ubuntu packages stop depending on those
old db versions, aptitude will clean them up: you're stuck with the
tarball, because you won't _know_ what needs it.
--
derek