Compaq Presario (V2305CA) laptop and Ubuntu

Nathan Howell nathan at crapbox.org
Wed Aug 17 19:06:50 UTC 2005

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 20:01:19 -0400, tmilam wrote:

> I strongly encourage you to keep this notebook. All problems that you
> are having are probably able to be fixed!I just got a similar model,
> except this one has a turion.

I think my sister has decided to return it already. She's not technical at
all, and isn't interested in waiting for it to get better. I can't blame
her for that. :-) I know it *will* get fixed, but it's not fixed *now*. If
it were me, I would be more willing to wait, but then again, I wouldn't
have bought a laptop so riddled with ATI parts. ;-)

> Just out of curiousity what are you getting with glxgears? I know
> glxgears isn't a good benchmark, but it is a good indication of how well
> dri is working. I'm using vesa and getting around 260 FPS. Surely the
> fglrx driver will run better.

I never checked glxgears, and I've already reinstalled windows so she can
return it. The fglrx driver doesn't support the xpress 200m chip anyway.
Even if it did, I wouldn't be too sure of it. It's absolute crap on the
radeon 9500 in my desktop. It locks up half the time just logging out of
X. For my curiosity, does xvideo work for you? Whenever I tried to play a
video (or even just launch totem) X would crash.

Nathan