How to mount Windows NTFS harddrive in Ubuntu?

Albin Blaschka albin.blaschka at sbg.ac.at
Wed Aug 17 13:10:00 UTC 2005

J.Markoll schrieb:

> You should create a (windows) directory under /mnt
> and mount with the '-t' option I think. Below, and extract from
> 'man mount', so you might get more info from the man (by writing 'man
> mount' in the terminal)

Hello,

I did not get the full thread, but I guess it is the same problem I got
in the beginning and some others had on this list, too ;-)

the command is:

sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /media/windows -o umask=0000

The key is the -o Option: it tells that every usery user has all rights.
But don't panic ;-) You can't write to ntfs, so erasing is not possible,
and in general I think you will be alone on your desktop, so that
anybody will read possible sensible data is not that big, I think...

:-)

Albin