Easiest way to change graphics card?

Ari Torhamo ari.torhamo at saunalahti.fi
Wed Aug 17 02:37:11 UTC 2005

Hi,

I went to my brother after all and set up the new driver myself. There
were no complications and the result was a perfectly working machine
(Yes I know, there isn't such thing as a PWM - I just felt so at the
moment :-) One thing that I came to think just before I started
dpkg-reconfigure was that there was a 3D driver installed in the system
and I removed it first (I had to use apt-get - why isn't there a text
mode version of Synaptic? ;-)

This kind of process would be good to be documented for example in the
wiki. Even many adventurous newbies may try to change there graphics
card themselves and a detailed, newbie-proofed how-to would be a
valuable resource for them. It's not that doing the thing with
dpkg-reconfigure is difficult in itself, but even easy things are often
difficult in practice before you get to know their easiness.

Thanks Nick, Paul and Thomas for your helpfull replies :-) I studied
your suggestion Thomas of using ssh connection to remotely do the job,
but realized that I would need more time to learn how to use it. Might
do that in the future.

Regards,

Ari