PGP Keyservers

Charles Mauch cmauch at taclug.org
Tue Aug 16 23:48:39 UTC 2005

Greetings from Tacoma, WA, USA, hometown of Lee Boyd Malvo, Andrew!
On Tuesday, August 16, in the 2005th year of our Lord, you wrote:

> When looking, the two you reccomended didn't seem to hold your key.

Apparently I forgot to submit this year's key to that network.  My bad.

> However, when i looked at http://subkeys.pgp.net, it seemed to suggest i
> should use keyserver.mine.nu.

subkeys.pgp.net is a round robin of a bunch of keyservers that support the
openpgp standards.  Most all the keyservers syncronize every night, so it
really doesn't matter which one you choose.

,----[ http://keyserver.kjsl.com/keyserver.html#subkeys ]
| Keys with multiple subkeys, a revoked subkey (tag 0x28), duplicate keyids,
| direct key signatures (tag 0x1F), revocation signatures on userids (tag
| 0x30, or photo IDs are only handled properly by certain keyservers. Such
| servers include keyserver.kjsl.com and as well as the SKS servers.  Version
| 4 RSA keys and/or uncommon key types (RFC 2440 and later) may also be
| stored under the wrong keyid and/or report the wrong fingerprint (ala RFC
| 1991) on keyservers running older software.
`----

pgp.mit.edu is one of those older keyservers.  Avoid it if possible.

--
Take it easy, [cmauch at taclug.org]

Charles Mauch, FSF Apologist, Debian/Ubuntu/Gentoo user, etc.
Every message PGP or S/MIME signed to verify authenticity.
Playing "Maybe" by Collective Soul (Disciplined Breakdown)