Mezzo Desktop?

Martin Marcher ekimus at xover.htu.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Aug 16 21:17:28 UTC 2005

Am Dienstag 16 August 2005 21:32 schrieb Andrew:
> sweat! This think seam to fit my 'vision' of what a Linux desktop should
> be.. lets see further in ;)

for all interested people:

I'm doing a customized live cd version of ubuntu as a bachelors work for my
university (http://www.tuwien.ac.at). the first version *should* be available
by 15th september. I plan to use the mezzo desktop.

the intended audience is 1st and 2nd term students of computer science that
haven't gotten in touch with linux yet, and to provide them with a complete
environment for doing the labs and all work that can be done from the home
pc. I also try to get some stuff of https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuScientists
into it, but since it's intended to beginners there won't be to much about
special tools. we try to keep the docs as up to date as possible (also trying
to update the wiki.ubuntu.com entries we use and find to have missing/wrong
info

i haven't gotten to talk to the infrastructure staff at my university yet. but
will open up a wiki and give info back to the devs (if they wish to do so).

for now nothing special is planned just some artwork branding for the
university. having a click'n point interface that is task oriented.

some information can be found at: http://marcher.name/index.squawk?TUNix
it's a wiki so feel fre to add infos :)

also feel free to mail my privately but please tag the subject with
"[TUnix]" (will be the name of the live distro)

BUT: please don't contact any staff of the university.

atm we are 2 people working on it, so there aren't to much human ressources
available. maybe someday the mezzo desktop will make it into the live cd :).

also any information/docs/stuff you know about customizing (not the
https://wiki.ubuntu.com//LiveCDCustomizationHowTo entry that's obvious) is
welcome.

NOTE: this is a very early stage atm and we just try to provide some tools
that will help.

regards
martin marcher

PS: hope my post is somewhat clear. it's just a quick draft written at 11pm
here :)