Looking for more Unix Linux

Alf-Ivar Holm alfh at student.matnat.uio.no
Tue Aug 16 18:58:48 UTC 2005

Lee Braiden <lee_b at digitalunleashed.com> writes:

> Yes, it's a Unix-clone.  But not a clone of a specific KIND of Unix.
> Basically, it's as if there were all sorts of chainsaw models on the
> market, but they all had limitations, so someone designed a new one.

Which is typically how all Unix variants came about.  For a nice
overview, see:

	http://www.levenez.com/unix/history.html

> It's not based on any one model, but takes good ideas from all of
> the other models, and offers a few benefits of its own.

I thought it was widely known which Unix variant Linux was based on.
Almost all the variants are based on something else.  There is one
exception in the figure linked to above: GNU (Trix), 1986.  But that
is obvious: GNU's not Unix.

	Affi