First computer language

David Walker dave at mudsite.com
Tue Aug 16 13:27:53 UTC 2005

Rajiv Vyas wrote:

>I am thinking about learning Perl (other possibilities are Python,
>Ruby and Lisp). This will be my first computer language. Any
>suggestions on which books I should buy for absolute beginners in
>programming and perl?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Rajiv

No matter how many books you read, how many classes you take, there is
only one way to learn.  Funny how it works like real languages.  Dive
in.  Go download some Perl/Python/Ruby/PHP/C/C++, whatever, and just
start reading it.  See how things fit together.  Why does an outcome
happen when you get input.

I learned C when I was about 12 by downloading ROM, the mud(online text
RPG), and just read the code.  Then I attempted to mimic what was there
by making a command for the game.  I failed, first time seeing compiler
errors.  So what do I do, figure out what it meant by "code.c: 232:
Syntax error before ';'"  So my suggestion is just jump into something
and fiddle with it until you see how the language works.  Once you
understand how things fit, try adding something to it.  It will most
likely not work, but figure out why.  The first time you see your work,
working is a great feeling.

By all means if you have a question, I bet you will the first few weeks,
ask.  Find a, your language learning here, message board and ask why
something is broken, or wrong.  The only stupid question is the one not
asked.

Just my 2cents.

--
Dave Walker